Some notes for the Paperwork community and anyone who may come here looking for such information.
I have a Windows 10 Pro desktop (i7, 12Gb ram, multiple drives). I have a Brother HL-L2395DW printer/copier. I have WSL2, latest version, Ubuntu is the installed Linux distro. I have VcXsrv installed for X apps.
Currently this install works incredibly well and as a 20+ year IT guy who used *nix extensively in my work it makes me happy. I decided recently to catchup my Paperwork papers after a few years of neglect. In that time I shifted from a desktop Linux distro to Windows 10 (for reasons) and looked to see if Paperwork can work in this WSL2 environment. I’m happy to say that it CAN.
My Paperwork papers are on an attached USB drive, which is then synced with Dropbox.
The 1.3.1 version of Paperwork that comes with the Ubuntu distro can “see” the Brother device with the Brother-provided Linux drivers installed. While it’s a titch slow (e.g., starting a scan results in a 5-10 second lag), the scans work perfectly. All aspects of the program work but one, that I can see. Opening Settings and selecting Scan for Scanner Calibration results in:
Error while scanning: Error while scanning: libinsane-quark: Libinsane opt[mode]->set_value() error: 0x40000003, Invalid value (4)
I’ve not worried about this as the scans I get a quite fine.
One might ask why I’m not using Paperwork v2 for Windows. I tried it, but there is a problem which prevents a scan from completing - the process halts after the scan, but before the tags/date are added. There is no way I can see to go forward. I submitted a bug report.
One might ask by why I’m not using the flatpak version of the latest Linux release. I tried it, but though all dependencies and v2 of Paperwork install without error, all attempts to run Paperwork 2 fail with an error. Rather than attempt to resolve this (since it is likely due to use of WSL2, which, of course, is not a complete Linux distro install with systemd, etc.), and since I have to do additional steps to get the scanner visible to Paperwork run with flatpak as well (saned, etc.), and since I have a working v 1.3.1, I decided to let it go and get on with my archiving.
If the Windows bug I reported is resolved, I may shift to its use.
Hope this may be of use to someone.