Looking for a German translator for openpaper.work

Hello,

I’ve recently added some basic counters on openpaper.work. The funny thing is that it seems that 1/3 of the traffic actually comes Germany.

Therefore I’ve installed a new instance of Weblate at translations.openpaper.work and I’ve enabled German translations on it for openpaper.work. Anybody can register on it and prepare the translations. I would really appreciate it if someone could take the time to translate the pages.

Once translated, I’ll enable the german language on openpaper.work.

Best regards,

Hello,
I just started to translate into German, yesterday.
Makes fun, hope to finish by next week.
There are some texts, where the translation heavily depends on the context.
Would there be a possibility to ask e.g. for screenshots containing those text elements?
May be, I just try to use weblate’s comments to indicate those texts, for which I would like to see more context.
Best regards,

2 Likes

Would there be a possibility to ask e.g. for screenshots containing those text elements?
May be, I just try to use weblate’s comments to indicate those texts, for which I would like to see more context.

Please do add comments whenever you need more information. I watch all the projects/components/languages on the weblate instance so I’m notified when you add a comment.

Up to now, the only translation where you mentioned a context problem was “Distribution”, right ? I’m going to add a screenshot

No, sorry “distribution” is cleared now. There was a hint “like in Linux Distribution”.

Yeah, I did add the hint after seeing your comment :slight_smile:

gg … and I wondered, why I could have overseen that previously … - thanks!

Hi,

I am going to support the german translation also.

Kind regards,
Andreas

2 Likes

Great :slight_smile:
I think Weblate will allow you to collaborate without much trouble.

By the way, I forgot to tell you that the website source code is available on Gnome’s Gitlab. Since Weblate tells you where the original strings were found in the code, I guess it can help you have some context for the translations. (still, don’t hesitate to ask for screenshots or explanations)

Hi Jerome,

thanks for the information. I observed that there are inconsistencies in writing opensource. I found strings with “opensource” and with “open-source”. Please decide for one variant and I will try to harmonize it during the translation.

Kind regards,
Andreas

Let’s go with ‘open-source’ (1 idea --> 1 word).
I’ll fix the original strings later.

By the way, the translated website can be seen at https://openpaper.work/de/ . Once the translations are complete enough, I will add the links to the German pages in the top-right corner.

Thanks for your work :slight_smile:

Hi Jerome,

we have reached now 100% of all terms translated.
Seeing the whole page in the context, made me modify some of the terms. And this work will continue for a few days. There I observed that the modifications were not immediately visitly at the /de site. Is there a regular sync of the language?

Kind regards,
Andreas

1 Like

Actually, in Weblate, when you click “Save” and then “Manage repository” + “push”, Weblate makes a Git commit with your changes in the openpaper.work repository. From there, the CI/CD pipelines do some basic checks and then update openpaper.work. It takes about 15 minutes overall.

However the last time it took longer because OVH (openpaper.work host) changed a few things and I had to update the rclone configuration file I use.

Hi Jerome,

it seems I don’t have the permission to commit changes - I don’t see the button. Could that be? Or am I just not looking at the right place?

Kind regards,
Andreas

Hm, I’ll have a look at the permissions later.
Just so you know, here is how it looks on my side:

Looks like you were able to push into the Git repository ? :slight_smile:
However the CI pipeline failed at first. It’s a permission error I get every time after an apt dist-upgrade on the server (I know where it comes from, I’m just not sure how to fix cleanly). Anyway I restarted the pipeline and the website should be up-to-date now.

Hi Jerome,

it seems someone else committed the translation. I don’t see the “manage” Menü at the page you screenshoted.

I browsed the website now and am satisfied with the result.

Kind regards,
Andreas

it seems someone else committed the translation.

Weird, I guess Weblate must commit and push automatically sometimes. (the documentation mention automatic push, but not automatic commit, so I’m unclear here)

I browsed the website now and am satisfied with the result.

Good work you both ! :slight_smile:

I just spotted two missing translations (see below). Once fixed, I’ll add a link in the top right of the website for the German version.

Hi Jerome,

I fixed the Contributing button, thanks for the check.
I propose to keep Community as it is. Allthough the dictionary knows german words for Community, these are used in “offline life”, like the community service. But for the online community I would not use any of them, but the word “Community”.

If other translators disagree, we can change.

Kind regards,
Andreas

1 Like

OK for me. I’ve added the german flag and link in the top right of the website.

Thank you very much for you work :slight_smile: