Good news everyone ! Today I’ve tagged Paperwork 1.99. It’s what-will-be-Paperwork-2.0-but-is-not-yet-finished. And I would like your comments.
I’ve tagged this version 1.99 because it has reached a point where it is “usable”: All of the main features of Paperwork 1.3.1 are available … they may just not be really stable yet :). It is now my main document manager (in other words, I don’t use Paperwork 1.3.1 anymore at all).
There are also a bunch of improvements compared to Paperwork 1.3.1 (updated 2020/4/23):
- Entirely modular design (which means faster and easier improvements later on)
- Better performances:
- Command-line interface that kicks ass.
- Semi-automatic bug report system that kicks ass (I’m going to need it …)
- Editable PDFs
- Smaller exported PDFs
- Automatic scan border guessing that … doesn’t really kick ass …
Still missing (updated 2020/5/9):
Advanced search dialog
Translations(actual translations will be done in testing phase) Welcome document Help menu Drag-n-drop of pages inside PDFs Multiple document selection Windows portage Commands to modify the plugin list don’t handle dependencies yet Automatic reset of the plugin list when Paperwork is updated New version detection + a welcome page/screen
- Text copy
- Keyboard shortcuts (Ctrl-F, etc)
- Search keyword suggestion
- Flatpak: Popup in the settings when no scanner is found regarding configuration
- Import on file drop
- Dialog ‘about’
- Dialog in case of uncaught exception (“unexpected error”)
- Code documentation (will be done during testing phase)
- Search in page: next/previous (#480) (maybe only for Paperwork 2.1)
- Dialog for multiple-scans (maybe only for Paperwork 2.1)
I’ve also fixed a big bunch of minor defects along the way. For instance drag-n-drop behavior is now a bit more consistent ; you can even drop a Paperwork page in Firefox (fairly useless, but meh )
Anyway since it’s a full rewrite, I would appreciate it if some of you could give it a quick try, see if you can find any missing features or bugs.
To try it, the easiest solution is to use Flatpak. You can just follow the usual instructions and replace every occurrences of
Please do backup your documents beforehand. It won’t ever delete them by accident, but it will resize down thumbnails generated by Paperwork 1.3.1.
To uninstall it:
flatpak uninstall work.openpaper.Paperwork//develop
Thanks in advance,