Feature Proposal: Guess date

When I’m scanning in receipts or bank documents they all have a date and I have to manually put this in. Because paperwork has OCR’d the document could there be a way to ‘guess’ the date by looking for date patterns within the document and suggesting this is the date for the document just scanned in?

Hello,

This would be an good feature to have indeed.

However, as you can imagine, it wouldn’t be easy. Date formats are not the same depending on the user language. For instance, in French, it’s dd/mm/yyyy, while in English it’s mm/dd/yyyy. And even then, for each language, there are many ways to write a date.

I’m not aware of any opensource library or program already doing that.

Still I guess it would be worth a try. I’ll have a look after Paperwork 2.0 release.

I know dates are tricky. I’m a programmer myself. If you already have the persons local from their computer then you could assume the stuff they are scanning in is of the same locale. It would be more of a suggestion, if it cannot work it out just leave it as todays date.

I like the idea as well. As I scan documents in English or German, the locale setting wouldn’t always help. The best thing would be to have a popup asking if the date is correct or, if not, to give the option to edit it. Or is that too much work?

I just opened the same request ( Automatic date recognition ) so I’d strongly support this proposal, this would help so much.

In another software (forgot the name, mayan?) you seem to have some kind of an inbox where you can say yes this is correct and no this isn’t correct.

“rectangle selecting” the date within an already scanned document would also be an easier solution for me than writing the date manually.