Paperwork 2.0

Good news everyone,

At last, Paperwork 2.0 is out !

It is a full rewrite. Main differences with 1.3.1 are:

• Awesome plugin system: any feature can be disabled, and later it will be possible to enable experimental features
  • PDF files are editable
  • Brand new command line interface
  • Settings dialog has been revamp
  • Scan source selection is done in the main window now instead of the settings dialog
  • No multi-scan dialog anymore: clicking “scan” always scan until the end of feed
  • An automatic bug report submission system has been added
  • You can now select many languages for the OCR
  • Automated tests on the backend
  • Split between components specific to Paperwork (paperwork-…) and components that could be reused for other applications (openpaperwork-…)
  • Thumbnails are slightly smaller (they will be automatically resized)

As usual, information regarding Paperwork installation and updating on GNU/Linux can
be found on gitlab.gnome.org .
Windows version is available here:
https://openpaper.work/

Enjoy :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Not sure if you realize that you need to log in to access gitlab.gnome.org, no anonymous access anymore?

And the linked URL seems not to exist?

My guess is the link should use different capitalization :wink:

And one biggie is missing from the announcment/Readme. What do I do if I happen to have a document collection already maintained with 1.x? Will it automagically upgrade with no way back? Is the document collection layout compatible?

Thanks in advance,

Andreas

@yacc143: I’ve fixed the link. Fun fact, the link was wrong also in the announcement of Paperwork 1.3.0 :slight_smile: (World/ was missing in the path ; yeah, I copied-pasted).

Regarding compatibility, that’s a very good question. The work directory layout is compatible, but one way only:

• 1.3 --> 2.0: Compatible. No issues expected.
  • 2.0 --> 1.3: Not compatible. Any page post-processing or editing will not be visible anymore. PDF editions won’t be visible either. You may end up having issues due to the files page_maps.csv and paper.X.edited.jpeg not being taken into account by Paperwork 1.3.

Details are available on the wiki (see the parts marked “Paperwork >= 2.0 only”).

In any case, I would advise making backups of your work directory before updating (actually I would always advise backuping everything … :slight_smile: )

Amazing news!
Thanks a lot for this great piece of software!

I’m really happy to see this because I was hoping Paperwork 2.0 could be the included version in the next Debian stable release.
I started the Debian packaging so, of course, expect some new opened tickets :wink:
The whole packaging has changed quite a lot since 1.3.1 (I can see the huge work done there!) so it should take me a little bit of time to make it “Debian compliant”. I had already tried to package the 1.99 release (though I didn’t published it) so I can start from there.

Thanks again for this software and sorry for the most probable spam of issues.

Cheers

1 Like

@moht That’s great :slight_smile: . Please do not hesitate to open issues on Gitlab or topics on this forum if you have any problems or questions.

By the way, I forgot to mention something that may be of interest to packagers:

Paperwork needs various generated data files:

• The user manual (PDF generated from LaTeX files + screenshots automatically generated)
  • Author lists (generated from Git history)
  • Icons (.ico and .png generated from .svg)

Those files are generated by running make data. However they require a lot of dependencies to be generated (LaTeX, inkscape, Git history, etc).

So to simplify things for contributors and for packaging on Pypi, those data files are generated and uploaded by the CI/CD to an object storage (hosted by OVH). When you run make download_data, it downloads and extracts the data files that were generated by the CI/CD. --> When you run make install, if you haven’t run make data first, it will run make download_data automatically.

(that’s one of the hundreds of things I still have to document … :confused: )