Feature Proposals: Document titles + filter buttons

Hello,

First off, thank you for the application. It’s been very useful for me to work with, but I have two requests to make it a little bit easier for me to use. I’ve also added my personal priority, to highlight which I would rather see. I am using the windows 10 version.

Request 1: Provide Name to documents.
I would really appreciate it to have a name to the documents, so that I can see at a glance which one it is, without having to load the thumbnails.

Additionally, it would also be appreciated to incorporate the Titles into the Folder name (Maybe have a character limit). Because, now I cannot use the folder name at all, because they only involve Dates, which don’t mean anything to me.

Maybe in the settings, you could let us decide how Folder Names are built: <Unique #> <Doc. Title> <Date, YY-MM-DD>. This would be a nice-to-have feature, but would still be very useful.

Personal priority: 4/5, Would be really appreciated.

Request 2: Filter buttons.

We can already give tags/flairs to documents. Please let me easily select them on the homepage, so that when you select a tag, it will show all documents with that flair.

Or an improved filter menu, so that we can also look between time-frames, or select multiple tags etc.

Personal priority: 2/5. (Nice to have feature)

Sorry if these are already planned yet, I could not find anything on this forum.
And I am not too knowledgeable about coding etc, so not too familiar with the gnome website.
Let me know if I can help in any way, or would like more concrete information.
I can also help with translation if needed, I am from the Netherlands.

Thank you,
Powerburst

Hello,

Document titles/names

This is a recurrent demand.

In short, I’m against it. The goal with Paperwork is being lazy. In my opinion, putting titles on every document is not being lazy, it’s wasting time. If you really need this kind of sorting, you may want to consider a more complete/complex document manager, for instance Mayan EDMS.

Anyway, Paperwork 2.0 will come with a plugin system. So maybe someone else will implement support for document titles. But I won’t (as a general rule, I don’t implement things I don’t use).

Filter buttons

Please let me easily select them on the homepage

I think this ticket is similar to what you describe:

This is something I will probably work on for Paperwork 2.0 (or maybe 2.1).

Or an improved filter menu, so that we can also look between time-frames, or select multiple tags etc.

Hm, did you notice the button at the right of the search field (tooltip = “advanced search”) ? Because I think this is what you’re looking for.

Sorry if these are already planned yet, I could not find anything on this forum.

Not surprising. This forum has been created not too long ago. Most of the discussions are still on the bug tracker (some still happen there too).

I can also help with translation if needed, I am from the Netherlands.

Paperwork 1.3.x was translated directly in its Git repository. This was not practical at all.
So for Paperwork 2.0, I plan on using Weblate.

For now, only the website openpaper.work can be translated using Weblate. If you want, I can add a language in Weblate for Dutch translations of openpaper.work. If you feel like it, later I can also add Dutch translations for Paperwork 2.0.

Just beware I have one requirements regarding any contributions: You will have to maintain them over time. Paperwork is a small project with few contributors. If you don’t maintain and update your translations, I cannot do it for you. Since it’s better to have no translations at all than a half-translated user interface, the only thing I can do is remove them entirely.

1 Like